Imperial is a European university with global reach. Collaborating across borders with people from different backgrounds, cultures and nationalities is what drives the world’s best universities.
On the morning of the 2016 Brexit referendum result, Imperial’s President Alice Gast made it clear that “Imperial is, and will remain, a European university.”
Imperial is providing staff and students with support and information, growing its European collaborations and working to influence decision-makers in the UK and Europe.
- We are making the case for continued access to EU programmes and networks supporting excellent research.
- As the UK reviews its immigration system we are working to secure guarantees on the rights of EU citizens and making the case for continued access for international students and staff.
Substantial portions of Imperial staff (23%; 1,904) and students (16%; 2,865) come from other European countries. Imperial is the 4th highest HE recipient of funding in Europe and has won €219m of Horizon 2020 funding across 345 awards, while 17% of Imperial’s total research income in 2016/17 came from EU sources. European researchers play a key role in winning these grants, with 39% of Imperial’s 2017/18 research grants involving academics from EU/EEA countries. In the last decade, more than 60,000 Imperial research papers were co-authored with peers at European universities.
If you would like to receive regular updates on Brexit, please contact email@example.com
- Our FAQs for staff have been updated with more details on the EU Settlement Scheme pilot, which allows resident EU citizens working in higher education to obtain UK immigration status. The College has also contacted EU staff directly.
- The October EU Council Summit finished without any agreement on the Brexit deal. The Northern Ireland backstop remains the key sticking point. There was no confirmation of a November Summit to sign a deal so this may now not happen until the scheduled December EU Summit.
- The UK Government will underwrite Horizon 2020 funding beyond Brexit and in the case of a no-deal Brexit. For more information see our FAQs on EU research funding.
Information for staff
Imperial is providing information and support to staff as the UK leaves the EU. Find out about the latest information from the UK government, answers to frequently asked questions and contact points for further support.
Information for students
Imperial is working to provide current and future students from the EU/EEA with the latest information on fees, funding and immigration requirements.