Panopto Personal Recorder Upgrade
From Monday 14 May 2018, a newer version of the Panopto personal recorder will be available for individuals to download. ICT recommend that you upgrade your personal devices to Panopto version 5.6 before 16 July 2018 (when an automatic update will be pushed to all devices), this way you can upgrade your devices at a time which is convenient for you and your work.
To upgrade your personal recorder please follow the installation instructions below. The upgrade is necessary because older versions will shortly be our of supplier support. If you do not upgrade your Panopto personal recorder before 12:00 on Monday 16 July 2018, those using an older version of the Panopto personal recorder will receive a message after log on instructing an upgrade to version 5.6, including an upgrade activation button.
Admin access for PC and Mac
- You will only be able to install Panopto if you have admin access to your computer. If you do not, then log a Service Request with the ICT Service desk and a member of ICT will conduct the upgrade for you.
- If you have admin access, please follow the directions for Mac Installation or Windows Installation.
Panopto Personal Recorder Upgrade FAQ
Who will this affect
All computers using the 5.3 Panopto recorders will need to upgrade to 5.6 Panopto recorders (Lecture theatre, personal and office computers). ICT will upgrade the lecture theatres and ICT managed computers. Individuals will need to upgrade their personal and office computers themselves.
Can I check the version of my recorder to see if this affects me?
If your recorder is already on version 5.6 then you do not need to do anything.
- Log in to your personal recorder and choose settings. The version number will be located on the bottom right hand corner.
- If you see version 5.5 or earlier then you will need to upgrade.
- Log in to your personal recorder and choose the Panopto menu from the top left. Select About Panopto.
- A dialog box will pop up with your version number. If you see version 5.5 or earlier then you will need to upgrade.
Will this affect lecture theatres and teaching spaces?
- This will affect all of the lecture theatres or teaching spaces that have Panopto recorders and are managed by ICT.
- If you are aware of a teaching space that has a Panopto recorder and is not managed by ICT then that space may be affected. If this is the case, it is recommended that you log a call with the ICT Helpdesk before the 16 July to request an upgrade.
Who will upgrade the recorders?
- Staff who have personal recorders on personal or office computers will need to upgrade themselves (links to directions below). If a staff member encounters a technical issue whilst doing this, then they should log a call with the ICT Service Desk and a member of ICT will help conduct the upgrade.
- Staff will only be able to upgrade themselves if they have admin access to their computers. If they do not have admin access, then they should log a call with the ICT Service Desk and a member of ICT will conduct the upgrade for them.
- ICT will upgrade all of the Panopto recorders in ICT Managed rooms such as lecture theatres and teaching spaces.
When are ICT making the change that will enforce the compulsory upgrade?
Monday 16 July during the between 09:00-12:00.
How will the change that ICT makes on the 16 July enable this compulsory upgrade?
- ICT will make a change that will remove support for all old versions (5.5 or older) of the Panopto personal recorder.
- The removal of support means that staff logging into 5.5 and older versions after the upgrade will receive a message when they login requiring them to upgrade. Please follow the instructions for Mac Installation or Windows Installation respectively.
Can I upgrade my recorder before the compulsory upgrade on 16 July?
Will I need to do this for both Mac and PC recorders?
How many computers will be affected at the College?
We suspect that it this will affect around 150 staff computers (PC and Mac).