Festival Consultation 2019
The first ever Great Exhibition Road Festival will take place on Friday 28, Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 June 2019.
We are inviting our neighbours to help shape and celebrate the Festival with us, with a number of ways to find out more and share your thoughts in the coming months.
We will be updating this page regularly with further information for residents.
Since the first Great Exhibition brought us here in 1851, this Road is where engineers, artists, educators and scientists have reimagined the future.
To mark the bicentenary of the birth of both Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, the annual Imperial Festival will take place in partnership with twenty of the major cultural institutions in South Kensington, under the name of The Great Exhibition Road Festival.
This expanded Festival will reinvigorate Albert’s original vision for Albertopolis, the World’s first planned cultural quarter for research, learning and creativity, created following the Great Exhibition in 1851. The weekend will offer an unrivalled programme of free talks and tours, performances, demonstrations, creative activities, hands-on exhibits and more. We aim to connect with local London communities, sparking their curiosity and engaging them in a journey of discovery.
- The Festival starts on Friday 28 June with a series of evening events taking place in several museums and at Imperial.
- The main Festival event takes place on, and around, Exhibition Road on Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 June from 11am to 5pm.
- Our intentions are to close Exhibition Road to vehicles from Cromwell Road up to Prince Consort Road on the Saturday from 7am to 8pm and Sunday from 8am to 10pm. This will include suspensions to resident parking bays.
- Pedestrian access will remain to residents at all times. We are exploring escorted resident vehicle access during the Festival opening hours and more detail will follow on this.
- We aim to minimise disruption to residents during this period and to provide as much information as possible to help you plan your weekend.
Local residents are invited to a drop-in consultation evening at Imperial on Thursday 21 February, 6-7:30pm in the Alumni Lounge in the Main Entrance on Exhibition Road. Take a look at our South Kensington campus map to find us.
- This is a chance to discuss the road closure and traffic management plans, as well as wider Festival plans. We are keen to hear your questions and suggestions.
- This consultation will take place next to our Wearable Technology Imperial Lates event which we welcome you to attend. The event is taking place 6pm – 9pm and will provide a taster for the Festival in June!
- If you are unable to attend, but have specific questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get in touch
You can contact us at any time at email@example.com
We are engaging with Westminster City Council’s Events Team throughout our planning, if you have any questions for them, please contact the assigned officer Josie Pether on firstname.lastname@example.org
We are also engaging with the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea’s Events Team throughout our planning, if you have any questions for them, please contact email@example.com