Year in Europe
Year in Europe Language Classes
Language classes in French, German, Spanish and Italian are available for students registered for a degree with a Year in Europe (including Degrees with a Language for Science).
- They are taught one hour per week over two terms (Autumn & Spring term) in addition to the two hours taught as part of Imperial Horizons Programme.
- The focus is on becoming familiar with university life and culture in the foreign country. Scientific and technical terminology in the foreign language will also be covered.
- You will be assessed for this extra component through an in-class test in the second term. This counts towards the final overall grade as part of the written examination component.
- Attendance at this extra hour and completion of any preparation work allocated will be essential to achieve the proficiency required for a stay abroad beyond the scope of the general language class.
If you have any questions about joining the Year in Europe scheme you should contact your departmental exchange co-ordinator.
'Year in Europe hour' course descriptions
- Level 2 YiE [pdf]
- Level 3 YiE [pdf]
- Level 4 YiE course description [pdf]
- Level 5 & 6 Year-in-Europe course description [pdf]
- Year in Europe Written Assessment Procedures [pdf]*
- Year in Europe Oral Assessment Procedures [pdf]*
*New versions of these documents will be available shortly. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.