Dr Matthew G. Hennessy
m.hennessy (AT) imperial.ac.uk
2014 - present: Research Associate, Imperial College London, UK
2010 - 2014: DPhil Mathematics, University of Oxford, UK
2009 - 2010: MSc with Distinction, Mathematical Modelling & Scientific Computing, University of Oxford, UK
2004 - 2009: BSc (Hons) with Highest Distinction, Physics & Applied Mathematics (double major), University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Canada
Broadly speaking, my research focuses on the mathematical modelling of problems that arise in the physical sciences and industry. Once a suitable model has been formulated, it is then analysed using a combination of asymptotic and numerical methods. The results are interpreted in the context of the original problem.
I am currently working with Joao Cabral and Omar Matar to understand how frontal photopolymerisation can be coupled with interfacial wrinkling to rapidly manufacture complex three-dimensional structures. My aspect of the project involves developing and simulating a mathematical model that captures the polymerisation and wrinkling processes.
- MG Hennessy, CJW Breward, and CP Please. A two-phase model for evaporating solvent-polymer mixtures. Submitted, 2015.
- A Vitale, MG Hennessy, OK Matar, and JT Cabral. A unified approach for patterning via frontal photopolymerization. Advanced Materials, in press, 2015.
- AA Lacey, MG Hennessy, P Harvey, and RF Katz. Mathematical modelling of Tyndall star initiation. European Journal of Applied Mathematics, in press, 2015.
- MG Hennessy, A Vitale, JT Cabral, and OK Matar. The role of heat generation and thermal diffusion during frontal photopolymerisation. Phys. Rev. E, 92, 022403, 2015.
- M Tinguely, MG Hennessy, A Pommella, OK Matar, and V Garbin. Surface waves on a soft viscoelastic layer produced by an oscillating microbubble. Submitted, 2015.
- MG Hennessy, A Vitale, OK Matar, and JT Cabral. Controlling frontal photopolymerisation using optical attenuation and mass diffusion. Phys. Rev. E, 91, 062402, 2015.
- MG Hennessy, VM Burlakov, A Goriely, B Wagner, and A Muench. Controlled topological transitions in thin-film phase separation. SIAM J. Appl. Math., 75 (1), 38-60, 2015.
- A Vitale, MG Hennessy, OK Matar, and J Cabral. Interfacial profile and propagation of frontal photopolymerization waves. Macromolecules, 48 (1), 198-205, 2015.
- MG Hennessy and A Muench. Dynamics of an evaporating solvent-polymer mixture with a deformable upper surface. IMA J. Appl. Math., 79 (4), 681-720, 2014.
- MG Hennessy, VM Burlakov, A Muench, B Wagner, and A Goriely. Propagating topological transformations in thin immiscible bilayer films. Europhys Lett, 105 (6), 66001, 2014.
- MG Hennessy and GM Lewis. The primary flow transition in a differentially heated rotating channel of fluid with O(2) symmetry. J. Comp. Appl. Math., 254, 116-131, 2013.
- MG Hennessy and A Muench. A multiple-scale analysis of evaporation induced Marangoni convection. SIAM J Appl. Math., 73 (2), 974-1001, 2013.