Students relaxing in shared living space in halls

Introduction to student finance in 2019/20

What is it?

The Maintenance Loan is designed to support full-time Home students with their living costs e.g. food, rent and travel.

Find out more about who qualifies for financial support from the Government on the website.

How much can I get?

The amount you can get depends on:

  • where you live
  • where you study
  • your household income

All students who are eligible for the loan can receive up to 50% of the maximum loan amount regardless of their financial situation. The maximum loan amount for students living away from home in London in 2018–19 is £11,354. The government has not yet released the figures for 2019-20.

Access to the remaining 50% is dependent upon your household income.

Home students can use our funding calculator to estimate what financial support (government support and the Imperial Bursary) they may be eligible for.

Maintenance loan accordion

Students from England

Students living in England must apply for financial support from the Government via the funding authority, Student Finance England.

You can find a guide to the Student Finance England Maintenance Loan amounts below.

Funding for students starting in 2018

Household incomeMaintenance Loan (living away from home)Maintenance Loan (living at home)
 £25,000 or less  £11,354  £7,324
 £30,000  £10,719  £6,707
 £35,000  £10,084  £6,090
 £40,000  £9,449  £5,473
 £45,000  £8,813  £4,855
 £50,000  £8,178  £4,238
 £55,000  £7,543  £3,621
 £60,000  £6,907  £3,224
 £65,000  £6,272  £3,224
 £70,000 and above  £5,654  £3,224


Students from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

The Welsh and Northern Irish devolved parliaments have released their figures for 2018-19.

Similar living cost support is available for students from Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales – contact your relevant funding body for more information about the amount you may be eligible for:

Students from elsewhere in the EU

Students from elsewhere in the EU are eligible for a Maintenance Loan if they have been living in the UK for five years prior to the start of their course and EU students who meet certain criteria are eligible for a Tuition Fee loan.

Funding for EU students has not been confirmed for 2019-20.

Also, check out Imperial's range of scholarships – the President's Scholarships scheme is open to students of any nationality.

Do I have to pay it back?

Yes, but only once you have left university, are in employment and earning a pre-tax salary of £25,000 a year or more.

Find out more about repaying your loans.

Find out more

For more information on loans, see the Government's GOV.UK website.